A brief explanation of visa requirements is provided below. Additional material is included in the pre-departure information that is distributed to admitted students.

We also recommend that you speak directly to the nearest Israeli Consulate for full and updated information.

Student Visa (A-2)

Students participating in the semester/year program or any of the specialized summer programs (Data Mining, Entrepreneurship & Innovation, Global Health) who are U.S. citizens are REQUIRED to secure a student visa before departure to Israel. An A-2 student visa is valid for one year and is obtained through a local Consulate of Israel here in the US. In accordance with the Israeli visa regulations, students participating in these programs will be refused entry into Israel if they have not obtained the student visa prior to departure.

You will likely be asked to provide:

  • A passport valid for at least two years
  • Your letter of acceptance to the OSP
  • A visa application form (2 copies)
  • 2 Photographs
  • Visa fee
  • Proof of financial support during your time in Israel

Should the consulate request any other information pertaining to the program, please contact us and we will do our best to assist you.

The visa process can take time. Please be sure to contact your local Consulate as soon as you are accepted to the program in order to begin the process. As a reminder, the consulate/embassy is not required to give you a student visa so it’s best to start as soon as possible to avoid any delays.

Tourist Visa

Students participating in the Ulpan only who are U.S. citizens may enter Israel on a tourist visa. This visa does not require any prior paperwork before departure. It is issued at Ben-Gurion Airport, at no charge, upon arrival in the country and is valid for three months. After three months, a tourist visa must be extended for another three-month period at a district office of the Ministry of the Interior in Israel. You may extend your visa every three months for up to one year. A small fee is charged for each extension.


A valid passport is required to leave the United States and enter Israel. It must be valid for at least six months after your return to the U.S. If you do not have a passport or it will expire before the six months after your return date, you should apply for/renew your passport immediately as it can take several months to process depending on the time of year.

Information on obtaining/renewing a U.S. passport can be found at your local post office, a U.S. Passport Agency, or by visiting: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Returning Israelis/Individuals of Israeli Parents

Israeli citizens do no need a student visa to study in Israel. Students born in Israel and holding Israeli passports or who have at least one parent who is an Israeli citizen should contact the nearest Israeli Consulate for updated information as guidelines and regulations change frequently.

Non-American and Non-Israeli Students

Please contact the Israeli Embassy in Washington D.C. or the nearest Israeli Consulate for further information.